Note: You can find pictures of the process of making the heart shaped pancakes after the recipe.
Christina's Family Pancake Recipe:* makes ~6 large pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter (optional)
Steps:Recipe with pictures
- Preheat pans on stove.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour the beaten egg, warm milk, and melted butter into the dry ingredients. (I usually heat the milk and butter together to make sure the butter doesn't solidify when it is added to the milk.).
- Mix the batter.
- If pancakes are thick, pour more milk or water into the mixture.
- Oil the pans (can use: a spray, oil, or butter).
- Pour the batter into the pans (this is where you attempt to make heart shapes or you can use a heart shaped mold!).
- Let the pancake batter brown on one side. Once you see a lot of bubbles, flip the pancakes over and brown on the other side. Once you obtain the desired color of the pancake, remove it from the pan.
- Serve with jam and syrup
This is how I made my heart shaped pancakes.
I used a heart shaped mold. My husband picked this up at Micheals. I placed the mold into the frying pan, and then sprayed it with olive oil.
I then poured the pancake batter into the mold. I only covered the bottom of the mold because as the pancake cooks, it will rise up since it can't expand out.
Once there were a lot of bubbles that have risen to the surface, I removed the mold using tongs. I continued to cook the pancake until it was brown on both sides.
Here is a picture of my attempt at making a heart shaped pancakes by using a cup to pour the batter. The pancakes are not perfectly heart shaped, but they still look cute.
Using the mold, you will get fatter pancakes. And, don't get inpatient to get the pancakes cooked or you will slightly burn them. I rushed a bit because my husband had to go to work, and I wanted to make sure breakfast was done on time. Anyways, both ways yield yummy pancakes!
I hope you can make these heart shaped pancakes on Valentine's Day. If you do, then come back and let me know how well it was received!