Monday, February 3, 2014

Homemade Finger Paints

You know those times you see something on Pinterest and think “That’s so easy! I could totally pull that off. No problem!”? Then, as you’re doing it and everything seems to be turning out well you find yourself thinking “Whoa. This is so easy, I could even improve it!”? Then… everything explodes in your face? Yup, Saturday’s Pinterest in real life activity went a bit like that. Mind you, it wasn’t completely catastrophic, but it also wasn't very pretty; literally.


This week I decided to make finger paints. I used this recipe that I’ve found on several different sites, all posted by people who SWEAR it’s easy and foolproof. I guess it would be if you didn’t get distracted by the 4 kids you’re watching. *Note to self* If you’re doing anything with cornstarch, it WILL get thick and lumpy in the blink of an eye. DO NOT leave. Not even for a second…
Loosely translating my gibberish- The paints were successful in that the kids had fun. They were NOT successful in that they were lumpy and not very photogenic… Enjoy these pictures and remember, no one’s perfect… Haha.





Recipe:
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups cold water
food coloring

Directions
In a medium pan, mix the ingredients together to make the finger paint. Then, turn the burner to low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring the finger paint mixture until it is smooth and thick. (DO NOT LEAVE. Trust me.) After the finger paint has thickened take the pan off the stove and let the mixture cool.Then transfer into desired containers. As you can see, I used an ice cube tray because it's what I had. I think anything that's small would work well. Add food coloring (natural dyes would work well with this recipe too). Then, have some fun!



*Note* want to see something that is photogenic? These roses that McGee brought home as a surprise last week. *Swoon* 

No comments:

Post a Comment