Thursday, March 20, 2014

Monterey Jack Chicken Sandwich

So, I have a favorite restaurant. It’s a casual sit-down national chain restaurant and never fails to put me in a good moon when we go. I won’t put the name down for Copyright reasons, but let’s just say the symbol is a red vegetable and they specialize in Southwestern cuisine… 

A few months ago they debuted a seasonal dish I fell in love with… and then they took it off the menu again. I sincerely hate when that happens. I’m then left craving something that doesn’t even exist anymore. I had to fix that this time, so I decided to recreate it in a non-traditional manner- bring it back to life as a sandwich. I love sandwiches. They’re the perfect, handheld masterpieces.

Introducing the: 

Monterey Jack Chicken Sandwich
Yields approx 2 sandwiches
Ingredients needed:
1 Chicken breast
¼ onion
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
6
slices of Monterey Jack cheese
1 medium avocado
2-4 slices of bread (depending on whether you do closed or open face sandwiches)
Heat sauté pan over medium heat. Chop chicken breast into slices and add to preheated pan. Chop onion into thin slices and add to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until onions are soft and translucent and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Put on top of a slice of bread, top with avocado (I love what the avocado does to the flavor of this sandwich, so I usually use half of a medium avocado for this) and 3 slice of cheese. At this stage you can do one of 2 things- cover the sandwich with a lid to capture the heat and melt the cheese or microwave it for a few seconds. I like the taste better when I don’t use the microwave, but it’s totally up to you.
The beauty of this dish is it’s simplicity. You may be tempted to add other flavors, but try not to. I added paprika last time I made this and immediately regretted it- it’s not needed. The cheese brings in a nice sharpness that balances out with the creaminess of the avocado and the chicken is nice and filling.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment