Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mushroom-less Stroganoff: AKA My Husband Can Cook


McGee can cook. I mean REALLY cook. He’s amazing at it. Our first real date consisted of homemade curry with 3 homemade cheesecakes- he even sent me home with my very own at the end of the night. (And you wonder why I snatched him up? ;)) The following dish is one of the very first he made for me- and the one we cooked together the night he proposed. Food really is the gateway to love. At least in my totally unbiased and humble opinion.

Now, one of things you have to know about McGee is that he HATES mushrooms with a passion. There are few things he detests as much as he detests fungi. Obviously, then, this is not a traditional Stroganoff. It’s filled with flavors he loves combined to make a new, unique, intensely awesome taste profile.
I love this dish. It’s filling, deliciously complicated in taste, and the perfect comfort food. Make yourself a bowl and dig in!

McGee Style Stroganoff
1 lb turkey meat
1 medium sized onion, diced
3 tsp Terriyaki sauce
2 tsp Soy Sauce (dark if you have it)
2 tsp Hungarian Paprika (can use regular)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cans Cream of Celery Soup
1 cup Sour Cream (Fat Free is fine)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese


Saute turkey and onion in teriyaki sauce and soy sauce over medium high heat until cooked through. Add paprika. Turn heat to medium. Add 1 can of cream of celery soup, mix in and let thicken. . Add the second can, stir in and let thicken.If dish appears too thick, add approximately half a can of water Add sour cream and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Turn heat to medium low and add cheese. Stir until melted and allow to simmer, stirring intermittently, for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat. Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles, gnocchi, or rice.

1 comment:

  1. Stroganoff with turkey meat that is a great idea. I've never tried that. It sounds delicious, I would probably add mushrooms since I love them.

    ReplyDelete