Monday, April 7, 2014

Homemade Playdough

Monkey loves playdough a lot. He loves to use playdough to make letters, snakes, shapes, and cut it up with a plastic knife. His love for this product started over a year ago. At that time, I didn't have any playdough. So I decided to use this recipe that I found on Musings From a Stay At Home Mom. And, I just have to say that this recipe is SO awesome. I still have the playdough in my fridge that I made over a year ago! This is what the playdough looks like right now: Looks pretty amazing for being a year old.




A year ago, I made 3 batches so I would have 3 different colors. I store the playdough in plastic tupperware containers (the very cheap ones). The playdough leaves a slight salty feel on your hand, but nothing like the regular salt play dough. It is soft and very easy to work with. When it is pulled out the fridge, it needs to be warmed up with your hands so it is easier to use. But, I don't mind since it was so cheap and easy to make. I totally recommend using this recipe.

Playdough Recipe
*note: this is the recipe from Musings From a Stay At Home Mom.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/3 cup salt
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • food coloring
Directions:
  • Mix together all the ingredients, except the food coloring, in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low/medium heat, stirring. Once it begins to thicken, add the food coloring. Continue stirring until the mixture is much thicker and begins to gather around the spoon.
  • Remove the dough onto wax paper or a plate to cool.

Here is a picture of Monkey playing and learning with the playdough during our letter "E" week:


Do you have a favorite homemade playdough recipe? Please share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment