Tuesday, April 22, 2014

N is for No Way!

This week’s Calendar Time is the letter ‘N’.

I really need to lower my expectations for these. Don’t get me wrong, we always have fun, but I swear I have all these fantastic ideas that never quite come to fruition… Oh well.

This week we focused on writing and identifying the sound that ‘N’ makes. First, I found some free clipart images on Bing (I prefer Google, but Bing has a program where you can earn free gift cards when you search using their search engine so I use it for simple searches). I used nurse, noodles, necklace, needle, nuts, and nets; all things he had familiarity with. Then, I let him do his favorite activity: coloring! We identified each item, then tried to find it in the room we were in (we have a Duplo nurse), stated the beginning sound ‘nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn’, then he got to color the pictures (and draw the random egg, robot, and train- he is a 2 year old boy with a vivid imagination after all ).

Then, we worked on writing. At least we attempted to. Important lesson- always look at the pages you print out BEFORE handing them to the toddler. I accidentally printed out a bunch of  tiny ‘N’ tracing pages instead of the one big page I thought I’d found. Oops. So, I tried to make our own… Yeah, didn’t work so well this time. Then I remembered this awesome app that my friend’s husband introduced to us- Kids ABC Trains Game Lite. Love it. BooBoo gets to trace all the letters- using train tracks. It’s like it was designed with him in mind. There is a paid version, but I’ve never used it. *Disclaimer- I was not compensated for nor asked to do this shout-out, I just truly love app and wanted to spread the word*

Ready to learn...

Or something...


"Nnnn, nnn, NOHOHOHOHOHSE!"


My attempt at a writing sheet... 

After I gave up.

Did I mention how much BooBoo loves this app?


All in all, an uneventful lesson, but we did really enjoy it and BooBoo seems to have really gotten ahold of the concept of ‘N’. Looking forward to continuing these lessons with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment