Thursday, April 24, 2014

Scrumptious Bread Pudding

Today is all about re-purposing. More specifically: how to re-purpose stale French Bread. Which may or may not have been left over from last week's recipe...Heh. As delicious as that bread is, I forgot to eat it. Yes, I know, blasphemy. I didn't want to toss it, but I knew that that poor loaf needed some help getting to an edible state again so I decided to make my own version of Bread Pudding. A little bit sweet (so you can still add toppings) and a little bit spicy, this is an easy way to spice up any meal whether it be breakfast or breakfast for dinner or a unique dessert.

Scrumptious Bread Pudding

6 cups torn or chopped French Bread (about 3/4 of a loaf)
2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1/4 c syrup (I used Mrs. Butterworth's but Maple Syrup would work great as well)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
Heat oven to 350F. Put butter and milk in a saucepan on medium heat until melted and just warm. Meanwhile mix the syrup, eggs, and spices in a big bowl. Toss in bread chunks and coat evenly. Then poor warmed milk mixture and toss to coat. Pour into a 9x13 pan and put in oven for 30-35 minutes. Serve as desired with syrup, fresh fruit and/or whipping cream.
Bread torn up- doesn't have to be perfect.
Butter and milk heating up.



Sauce ingredients

I know it's weird to use pancake syrup,
 but I like the flavor it gives (and I don't have fresh maple syrup
sitting around...)

All the wet ingredients mixed with the bread.
Just the right level of liquid to avoid sogginess.







Mmmmmm... Easy and delicious, what more could you ask for? PS BooBoo totally referred to this as "Big Pancake!" Which, given the fact that pancakes are his favorite dinner, is a high compliment. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely fantastic! And it would be so easy to sub almond milk and margarine or coconut oil to make it safe for Cam to eat.

    I may have to make French bread on Sunday (a triple batch because my father-in-law will probably eat a whole loaf in one sitting, LOL. Hmm...I'll have to hide a loaf to let it stale or I'll never have enough leftovers to make the pudding.

    ReplyDelete