Thursday, April 10, 2014

Magic Mayonnaise Biscuits

Need something to round out a meal that's not only quick, but fail-proof? Craving something warm, soft, but a little chewy? Like the convenience of being able to grab your breakfast as you run out the door? Then I have a recipe for you! (In my mind I said that in the same tone of voice and using the gestures of an old-time travelling salesman, trying to draw everyone to my wagon to see my tricks and wares.)

One of my quirks, when it comes to recipe finding, is latching onto a random ingredient mentally and then trying to find the most out-there (and hopefully still delicious) way to use it. A couple of years ago that ingredient was mayonnaise. I went to the search bar on my internet, started typing "mayonnaise.." and the next suggested word was 'biscuits'. Huh? I'd never even heard of anything like that, but decided it was worth the risk. Only hitch (once I'd opened the link)? I didn't have self-rising flour. So, I searched out how to make that. Most recipes call for regular flour, baking powder, and salt. In this case? Don't add the salt. Don't do it. The mayonnaise provides plenty and if you REALLY need more, the butter you add inside of them when you sit down to eat provides that. Of course, I only know this from the first time I made them and they tasted like...ocean for lack of a better word.

So, I tried it again... and the results were amazing! Biscuits you can whip up in 5 minutes and have baked in 10- 15 minutes until the perfect comfort food and completer dish for many a meal.

Now, you don't have to worry about finding self-rising flour or looking up how to make your own because I've worked the changes into my recipe down below. However if you do happen to have some on hand, go ahead and use that, just leave out the baking powder. Oh! And if you prefer wheat, that works too; just put in a little less flour. I have not tried these with any gluten free flour though. Another note- I've used both regular and low-fat mayo (though not the olive oil kind) and both have turned out fine as well. Stay tuned after the recipe for step by step pictures.

Magic Mayonnaise Biscuits

2 cups white flour- minus 2 tsp
2 tsp baking powder
6 Tbs mayonnaise
1 cup milk

Put the 2 cups flour into a mixing bowl and then remove 2 tsp (this is the step that will make it self-rising); mix in the 2 tsp baking powder. Stir well. Then add the mayonnaise and milk. Mix until just combined. The texture turns out better if you do it by hand, but you can do it with a mixer. Scoop onto cookie tray or muffin tin. Put into pre-heated 400° oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature with your favorite biscuit toppings.


Remember to take out the 2 tsp of flour! Very important!


Mayo has been added

Next the milk

Texture should be sticky and slightly lumpy.


Mmmmmmm....
These would go great with our Slow-Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu!

1 comment:

  1. I have made mayonnaise biscuits before but they did not turn out like yours at all! Mine were flat and did not have good flavor.I am thinking I mixed them too long maybe. I will be trying your recipe for Easter, they look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete