Thursday, May 29, 2014

Black Pepper Chicken and Potato Soup

Poor McGee has been sick since Memorial Day. Food has not sounded good and he's barely been able to keep anything in. Therefore I was rally excited when he asked for soup today. There were just a few problems- I didn't have a lot of ingredients, he couldn't have dairy, and I didn't have a lot of time. I instantly looked online for something simple involving chicken, potatoes, and non-cream based. One of the first recipes I found was this. Pretty straight forward, but I didn't have turnips or carrots, and I'll admit I was skeptical that something so simple would taste good.

I shouldn't have worried. It's amazing. I did tweak it just a little bit and the flavor of the broth was perfection. So easy to prepare and it takes 7 ingredients-including the salt and pepper! Plus, look how good it looks!


Mmmmmmm.... I also love the fact that it uses ingredients almost everyone will have on hand. Great for a delicious, nutritious, and easy meal on a budget.

Black Pepper Chicken and Potato Soup

3 medium potatoes (red or russet is fine), cubed
1 onion, chopped
5 chicken breast tenderloins
5 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
3 bottom halves of green onions (optional)

Out cubed potatoes, chopped onion, whole chicken breast tenderloins, garlic cloves (can use chopped if preferred, but I like the flavor it gives the broth when they're whole), and green onions (if using, I added them because I had them and loved the garnish they made after cooking) to a large soup pot. Add water until ingredients are just covered. Add salt and pepper. Put pot on high heat and bring to boil. Cover with lid and lower temperature to low and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes. Pull out chicken and chop into pieces. Add back into pot and taste broth, seasoning with salt and pepper until desired flavor. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!

I plan on making this the next time I bring a meal to someone because it's so easy and really makes you feel like you're getting a big, warm hug from someone who loves you. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment