Friday, May 16, 2014

Sun Kisses

I'm pretty sure that at some moment in your life, you have disliked something about your body. I know I have had that moment before and to be perfectly honest, I have disliked many things about my body. I'm pretty sure something popped into your mind when you read this paragraph. You want to know mine??

Here is my story:

During my childhood, I hated my freckles. I hated that even though I would wear sun block, I would get more freckles. I hated the fact that my skin was "flawed", and that some people would make fun of the amount of freckles I have.

Thus, I became very self conscious of my freckles. When I went to college, I learned to not give my freckles too much attention because there was nothing I could do about them. I learned to just accept that my skin was flawed. This attitude persisted until my husband came into my life.

Now the story of how I met my husband and our courtship is quite comical. I will be posting about it eventually.  Anyways, my husband knew that I was fairly self conscious of the way I looked and how critical I was about myself. I will never forget one of the bouquet of flowers he gave me because of the note he included with them. The note said:
Some of the most beautiful and exotic flowers have freckles

My heart melted when I read this note because it made me view my freckles differently in the first time in my life. I realized that even though my skin is different than other people, it is my difference that makes me beautiful and special.

Now that the weather has warmed up, the sun is shining practically everyday.  I have been spending more time outside with the kiddos enjoying our yard and doing some much needed yard work.  The sun loves to give me "sun kisses", and I have lots of freckles. Now I don't mind them. I'm glad that I have had this change of heart because I want to teach my kiddos to love themselves and love their differences because it is their differences that make them beautiful!


Now you can understand why my favorite flowers are Star lilies and Peruvian lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment